Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Frances Ha

   With the fingers on one hand can I count the number of films that I've watched that have come out in the last year. Frances Ha is amongst them( Side note: sometimes I have a hard time getting around to watching newer films).  Noah Baumbach is a director whose films are either hit or miss for me; love Kicking & Screaming, The Squid & The Whale not so much. Frances Ha joins the love side of the list & becomes a personal favourite of films made in recent years.

   Frances... fantastic. New York filmed in black and white, where have I seen you before? Yes, the cinematography does feel like a nod to Manhattan. I didn't find it the slightest bit pretentious, on the contrary, it was delightful and beautifully filmed. The story, cleverly told in an intelligent manner and the dialogue fresh. Musically, the soundtrack was choice. I especially enjoyed the way in which David Bowie's 'Modern Love' was utilized. Frances... relatable. Situationally speaking, as someone in their mid to late 20s, I found it painted an accurate & humourous portrait of the experience of being that person who is continuously trying to put your life together. There were countless scenarios that felt very... familiar; themes of changing friendship cycles, artistic endeavours, the constant house hopping, etc. Frances... undatable. Greta Gerwig is adorable as Frances and in general, is an actress I have come to quite like upon first seeing her in Damsels in Distress. It was also nice to see Adam Driver appear outside of Girls. 10/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment